Friday 21 September 2012

Ohmygoshwhat?

Can your brain take it...?

I'm one of those depressing people in life who absolutely loves the world's Great Unanswered Questions!

I am an extremely opinionated person, and I'm sure if you gave me a topic of debate, I'd have plenty to say about it.

However, a lot of the things I think about on a weekly basis tend to be the sort of topic that would bum out the entire room in a classroom debate or family gathering. People don't like to put the world into perspective and think about what's up there, who's up there, and what exists beyond the stars...

Here are some of my favourite questions that totally get my mind boggled:

  1. Is there a God?
  2. If God made the universe, who made God?
  3. Is there a meaning to life? If so, what is it?
  4. What is the point of living a good life if we are just going to die?
  5. Is there any form of spirituality to life? Heaven? Hell? Ghosts?
  6. Are we here for a reason, or is it just luck and coincidence?
  7. Are we the most intelligent living thing in existence?
  8. What is time? Does it continue when we all die?
  9. What are memories? Are they illusions? If there are no memories, do we have free will?
  10. If God created everything, why did he create Satan?

I probably shouldn't torture myself with these thoughts - half of the time they petrify me!
On the other hand, I just absoultely love thinking about things that nobody can answer.

A lot of the time, thinking about something that is completely beyond somebody's understanding will spin them out, make them feel worthless and probably depress them for a day or two.

Me on the other hand?
These questions tend to make me feel better about my life.
I hate inequality in society. I have exceptions for certain things such as authority within work places or within households, but to me, equality is totally important.
I don't like the idea that Scientists are so desperate to find out all of these things that we probably didn't need to know anyway. We live and we die, that's my motto, and we don't need to know all of these facts if they'll be no use to us anyway.
These questions make me feel happy because:

a) I like to know that nobody knows the answers, not even the smartest of people, and it makes me feel just the same as everybody else.
b) Really, the little things in life that get me down aren't so important. We're just a tiny little speck on this big blank canvas. We're not particularly that significant. This makes me feel better about who I am and how important I am in society, because really we're all just in the same position.



I hope I've made you all think about things and put things into perspective...
If you want to share your views I'd be happy to listen, I'd love to debate with you about my opinion and share my views on any of the above matters or any other questions you'd like to share.
I hope I haven't bummed any of you guys out too much :-(

Enjoy your weekend!

All my love to you,
Elly. xox <3

8 comments:

  1. youve made me feel..... scared and stuff....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, aww! I'm sorry!
      Maybe if you think about things the way I do, it won't all seem so scary to you.
      If it does bum you out, please don't try to think about it too much, I only wanted to share my opinion!

      Love,
      Elly. xox <3

      Delete
  2. Hey Elly! Love your blogs!

    Okay, as for the questions.. I can answer.. two. 9 and 10 :)

    9: Memories are created when we see an event or think of something. At the moment, we have TWO main ways of explaining memory. The first, is that you see something, pay attention to it, then it goes into your short term memory (which is 18seconds) then, after that, if you keep rehearsing it, it can either stay in your Short Term, or move into your Long Term. That's the first theory, the second is more in depth and I don't know if there's a word count so.. I'll leave it and maybe explain it another time, seeing as though you're my girlfriend!
    However, memories can be.. fake. For example, if your mum told you, "When you were 6, you ate a pineapple chunk and choked and had to go to hospital." Then kept reminding you of this, your mind would create a "false" memory. I guess it could be argued that ALL memories are false.. but that would be ridiculous!

    10) God did not create Satan. He created Lucifer, who was one of the Archangels. Now, because God gave everything Free Will (and for this argument I will say everything has it, and is not determined.) Lucifer was jealous of God. He wanted what he had and challenged him. However, clearly God has an army (It is mentioned in Revelations) and he strikes back at Lucifer, and he falls to Earth (thus being called, The Fallen Angel). In some cultures it is argued that Lucifer fell to Earth and hit the Earth with such force, he went straight through to Hell and on the other side of the Earth a chunk was pushed out. For example, if you have an orb and push into it, a same size bit will poke out the other side. In this culture, this was Mnt. Everest. Lucifer then got angry and stuff and yeah became Satan :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks sweetie :-)

    I do understand both of these, but I'll explain what I meant.

    With the answer to Question Nine, I understand what you're saying and I know this is Scientifically proved and true! However, I can't get my head around memories and to me memories don't appear to be true. They're an event that has taken place that your memory stores, but it is not something that is completely true and... I can't exactly explain what I mean, but I know that the woman from Outnumbered explained it perfectly, haha!

    10. If God is the most powerful being and the creator of Earth, he should have the power to either create good out of Satan, destroy Satan, destroy Hell, punish Satan... I believe if he existed and he were the creator of Lucifer, and God knows everyone and everyone's feelings, he wouldn't have created somebody with the capability of such evil as Lucifer, and would have created somebody that wouldn't be capable of jealousy that would lead to such evil.

    Although I used to be a Christian, I believe the Bible's points are invalid and most of them are completely contradictory, Scientifically incorrect and ... Sort of, fairytales.
    Not being disrespectful to Christians however, as I know it's something they all follow, BUT it's just my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sweetheart, most Christians don't take the Bible word for word! It's not a...urm...like...exact! It all has deeper meanings, it's messages and lessons for LIVING!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know it has messages, but all its messages contradict each other!
    It says one thing, then later on in another place it says another.
    It teaches you to be respectful and kind to one another and to treat others as you'd like to be treated and as equals etc, and then contradicts it! For example, in the New Testament it tells you that women are dirty when they're on their periods and nobody should touch them, or that they should walk behind men. That's not being respectful to women, or kind, or treating them as equals or how a man would like to be treated.
    I could go on and on for hours about its contradictory and the ridiculous teachings.
    The stories can be lovely, but its points are completely invalid at most points. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's because you are comparing two stories. With different approaches. For example, the OLD testament, is all about how to live life well. The NEW testament is all about how to be a good revolutionary, because that's what Jesus was. When he said, "If a man hits you, turn the other cheek." It doesn't mean, submit. In the 1st Century, when a man hit you, he used his RIGHT hand, however, if you turn your other cheek, the person would have to hit you with their LEFT hand, which, in those days, was the hand you used to wipe yourself after the toilet! And if you slapped with your left hand, it was showing that you were dirty and never cleaned.
    When Jesus said to the people, "If a guard tells you to carry his tools for a mile, walk another" he doesn't mean to help the poor soldier out of kindness. In the 1st Century, ANY Roman soldier could pick ANY person from the street and ask them to carry all their things for ONE mile. That was the rule, any farther than that one mile, and the Roman was hanged. So, Jesus told them to walk a SECOND mile so that the Roman would be killed. Jesus was only human and he was a revolutionary.

    ReplyDelete
  7. "The LORD is good to all: and his tender mercies are over all his works."
    "And I will dash them one against another, even the fathers and the sons together, saith the LORD: I will not pity, nor spare, nor have mercy, but destroy them."

    "The LORD is a man of war: the LORD is his name."
    "Now the God of peace be with you all. Amen."

    "Prepare slaughter for his children for the iniquity of their fathers; that they do not rise, nor possess the land, nor fill the face of the world with cities."
    "The fathers shall not be put to death for the children, neither shall the children be put to death for the fathers: every man shall be put to death for his own sin."

    Shall I go on?

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment!