Tuesday 2 October 2012

Dealing with overpowering emotions.

Today's post is going to be a lot more serious than the majority of the posts I shall write.

It's something that I think most of us will face in our lives at some point, and a lot of people struggle with on a daily basis.

I'm currently facing a tough time at home right now, and I thought maybe it was important to share my thoughts, feelings and advice on the subject whilst I'm trying to understand my emotions.

What are strong emotions?

Strong emotions are usually negative, such as anger and depression, and can often be difficult for people to control.
Strong emotions can also be up the other end, however. A lot of people can get excessively happy, which is obviously a much nicer feeling to feel.


Why do people feel strong emotions?

A lot of people feel these emotions, particularly negatively.
Emotions can be difficult practically impossible to deal with at the best of times, especially during a difficult time in somebody's life.
Contributes to these emotions could be stress. This could be through school, work, college, life itself, home issues, etc etc... Life is a tough thing to deal with, for even the most care-free of people.
Some people find it harder than the average to deal with their emotions, particularly if they have a certain medical issue, such as depression.


How can emotions be dealt with?

I'm obviously not a doctor.
I'm a young girl, and I can't give out medical or necessarily reliable advice for you to go on.
However, I have experience, and I know for a fact that, even though it can be hard, emotions can be dealt with, even at the most difficult times.
  • Keep your chin up. I know this is a piece of advice pretty much anybody will say to you. 'Think positively!' The most common response is often 'I can't', or 'I'm trying'. If I'm honest, trying is the best thing you can do. You have to just think positively about whatever's wrong in your life. If there's something causing you a strong negative emotion and you feel knee-deep in stress, you need to pick out the positives. I know I'm not exactly one to talk - negativity is my middle name. However, with the help of my super-duper positive and uplifting boyfriend Jack, I can often see the positive outcomes in every situation. It is possible.
  • Do things you love. This isn't always the answer. Sometimes people are too filled with things to do and their lives are too jammed-packed for them to do things that they will enjoy. However, if you have the time and emotions are running high, do something you know will make you smile. Even if you aren't in the mood, do it. If there's a chance it'll make you smile, why not try, instead of simply feeling sorry for yourself? Usually, if I feel sad, I take the time to watch my favourite American TV show, Ellen. I also research pandas and, of course, blog. What do you think I'm doing now? :-)
  • Talk to someone you trust. I always find it ridiculous when people say keeping things in will just bottle it all up, until eventually you burst. However, when I do vent my feelings to somebody and just let it all out, it helps me feel so much better. I know that there's someone that I can rely on or turn to. Just having it out there in the open helps me feel more confident that the situation will improve, and knowing that the person is trustworthy helps me see that as a positive. Just letting out your emotions takes it off your chest. If there is no one close to you that you feel you can trust enough to talk to, remember, there is Childline. I have used them many a time.
  • Turn to your faith. This doesn't necessarily mean your religion. Of course, if you have a religion, it can be a massive help to your life. It's something that you can trust in and rely on and rules that you can live by to help yourself to be a better person. However, it mainly means turning to things that you believe in. Your beliefs in life will help you to compose yourself.




The main thing in life is having somebody there.
So, whatever you do, please make sure that you have somebody to support you through difficult times.
It will make a world of a difference.

I'm off to watch some Ellen now, and talk to my gorgeous partner.
I hope that some of this has made a difference to you, although I know that reading advice for me when I'm angry, upset or anxious changes nothing.
It's all down to you to make the difference, and with just a little bit of help from others, I know you can do it.

Good luck.

With all my love always,
Elly. xox <3

-- P.S. I would like to apologise for Jack's blog on Sunday. I tried to delete it but the old man wouldn't let me. Sorry!--

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment!